What’s different in your drug stores this month? Your customers who are allergic to antibiotic ointments and creams will find a new first aid gel that’s antibiotic-free. There’s a prenatal dietary supplement with 450 mg of DHA. Men can check their sperm count at home with a new 10-minute tes,t and women will find a laxative that’s made just for them. A familiar brand of mouthwash has been made even stronger. And a new dipeptide product supports healthy aging.
What’s different in your drug stores this month? Your customers who are allergic to antibiotic ointments and creams will find a new first aid gel that’s antibiotic-free. There’s a prenatal dietary supplement with 450 mg of DHA. Men can check their sperm count at home with a new 10-minute test, and women will find a laxative that’s made just for them. A familiar brand of mouthwash has been made even stronger. A new dipeptide product supports healthy aging. And there are even more new over-the-counter items featured in the print edition of Drug Topics.
• Tecnu First Aid Gel. Tec Labs has expanded the Tecnu brand into general first aid with the recent launch of Tecnu First Aid Gel. The wound care treatment can be used for minor cuts, scrapes, abrasions, and burns to prevent infection. It kills a wide spectrum of germs and bacteria, plus it contains lidocaine to provide pain relief. Its antibiotic-free formula makes it viable for people who are allergic to common topical antibiotic ointments and creams. (http://www.teclabsinc.com/)
• Nordic Naturals Daily Prenatal DHA. The brand new Nordic Naturals Daily Prenatal DHA dietary supplement is a safe, once-a-day, omega-3 source. A single serving contains 450 mg of DHA, which supports proper infant development of the brain, eyes, and nervous system. In addition, it gives mood and nerve support to mothers before, during, and after pregnancy. Daily Prenatal DHA surpasses all international standards for purity and freshness, is doctor recommended, and is the official omega-3 of the American Pregnancy Association. (http://www.nordicnaturals.com)
• SpermCheck Fertility. SpermCheck Fertility is the only FDA-approved, at-home screening test for men to determine normal-to-low sperm count with 98% accuracy, in 10 minutes, and without having to go to a physician or lab to provide a semen sample. The company notes that men have historically avoided this type of semen analysis because it can be embarrassing and inconvenient for them to go to a medical facility for testing. This product yields the same accuracy while removing the stigma, since it is done in the privacy of the home. (http://www.spermcheck.com/)
• Dulcolax for Women. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals has extended its Dulcolax brand with a new laxative for women. Dulcolax for Women offers a gentle solution for dependable, overnight relief from occasional constipation. Dulcolax for Women tablets are comfort-coated, making them gentle enough for sensitive stomachs. Dulcolax for Women is available in 25-count packs. Each tablet contains bisacodyl USP 5 mg. (http://www.dulcolaxusa.com/)
• Scope Dual-Blast. In laboratory tests, Procter & Gamble’s new Scope Dual-Blast mouthwash killed up to 98% of bad-breath germs and helped obliterate strong food odors, such as garlic and onion. The Dual-Blast technology captures the odor-emitting volatile sulfur compounds from strong foods, helping to neutralize strong food odors in the mouth. The test results showed Dual-Blast performing significantly better than Scope Original Mint at removing strong food odors. Scope Dual-Blast is available in Fresh Mint Blast and Icy Mint Blast. (http://www.scopemouthwash.com/scope-products/scope-dual-blast-mouthwash.aspx)
• Jarrow Formulas L-Carnosine. Carnosine is a dipeptide that is found in the brain, heart, skin, muscles, kidneys, and stomach. Carnosine supports healthy aging and cellular rejuvenation by its effects on 2 mechanisms: glycation and free radical damage. Glycation is the uncontrolled cross linking of sugar molecules to proteins and is implicated in loss of cell function, genome integrity, and accelerated aging. Carnosine also supports brain function by reducing lipid peroxidation and stabilizing cell membranes during the aging process. A bottle of the Jarrow Formulas product contains 90 capsules; a serving is 1 capsule, with 1-3 per day suggested. (http://www.jarrow.com/product/128/L_Carnosine)