Some tips for keeping these hardworking organs happy and healthy.
When it comes to their eyes and ears, people often ignore those hardworking organs until a problem arises. This month’s selection of over-the-counter products highlights both preventive and maintenance care that can help fend off several common conditions.
OCuSOFT offers a range of products for eye care. They include:
• OCuSOFT Lid Scrub Original Eyelid Cleanser, available in premoistened pads or foam. The product treats dry, scratchy, and irritated eyes by removing excess oil and debris from the eyelids that may lead to eye irritation or dry eyes. Formulated for mild-to-moderate conditions, the eyelid cleanser is recommended for routine daily eyelid hygiene. (www.ocusoft.com) (Product image courtesy of OCuSoft)
• OCuSOFT Lid Scrub PLUS, an extra-strength anti-inflammatory leave-on formula that removes oil, debris, pollen, and other contaminants, is recommended for moderate-to-severe conditions with bacterial involvement. It is available in premoistened pads and as a foaming cleanser. (www.ocusoft.com)
• OCuSOFT Baby Eyelid & Eyelash Cleanser, a tearless formula that removes morning dirt and irritants that may contribute to blocked tear ducts, pinkeye, allergies, and other eyelid-related conditions. This product contains no parabens, fragrances, dyes, or Quaternium-15, and is ideal for children of all ages. (www.ocusoft.com)
• Retaine MGD Ophthalmic Emulsion, a preservative-free, ophthalmic emulsion that moisturizes, lubricates, and protects moderate-to-severe dry eyes. It provides long-lasting relief through a proprietary oil-in-water emulsion technology that uses electrostatic attraction between positively charged nano-droplets and the negatively charged surface of the eye to deliver ingredients. (www.ocusoft.com)
• Retaine PM Nighttime Ointment, with a thicker consistency designed to keep eyes lubricated and comfortable during sleep. The preservative-free, oil-based formula seals in moisture while protecting against severe dry eye. (www.ocusoft.com)
From Bausch & Lomb comes:
• Soothe XP-Xtra Protection Emollient (Lubricant) Eye Drops. This product promises to provide moisture, protect against tear loss, and restore the lipid layer of tears. It contains mineral oils to prevent rapid evaporation. (www.sootheeyedrops.com)
• Soothe Night Time Lubricant Eye Ointment. The two lubricants in this product combine to provide overnight relief of severe dry eye. Product literature states that it is preservative-free and protects against further eye irritation. (www.sootheeyedrops.com) (Product image courtesy of Bausch & Lomb)
Two Alcon products offering eye protection are:
• Systane Lubricant Eye Gel. The gel formulation coats the eye with a layer of protection to provide relief for patients suffering from severe symptoms of dry eye. According to the manufacturer, seven out of 10 patients preferred Systane over products they had previously used. (www.systane.com)
• Systane Gel Drops. Designed to provide a thicker eye drop for individuals suffering from severe symptoms of dry eye, the drops form a protective shield over the eyes to provide lasting relief. Systane Gel Drops can be used during either the day and at night. (www.systane.com)
An eye-health dietary supplement from Vitamin Science Inc., VisiViteDry Eye Relief TG-1000 is formulated with “the preferred triglyceride [TG] form of omega-3 fatty acids,” the natural form found in whole fish. TG omega-3s are up to 70% more absorbable than the synthetic ethyl esters form found in most other dry eye supplements.
“The eye’s surface is more complex than most people realize,” said Dr. Paul Krawitz, who formulated the product. “It has an inner mucous layer, a middle aqueous layer, and outer lipid layer. These layers are chemically dissimilar - they repel each other and can be unstable. If any layer is deficient, dry eye can result ... but most supplements and OTC products only address the outer layer.”
Dry Eye Relief contains curcumin C3 complex, a COX-2 inhibitor that modulates inflammation without gastrointestinal side effects. The product promises to provide superior results for tear production, moisture retention, and overall eye comfort. (www.visivite.com) (Product image courtesy of Vitamin Science Inc.)
A homeopathic remedy from The Relief Products, EarAche Relief Fast Dissolving Tablets provide temporary relief from symptoms caused by colds and flu, swimmer’s ear, and allergies. Product literature states that the tablets can stimulate the body’s natural ability to alleviate symptoms of fever; bruised, aching, and throbbing pain; sensitivity to noise; itching; irritability; swelling; discharge; sensitivity to touch; colds; and mucous discharge. (www.thereliefproducts.com)
Hyland’s Earache Tablets relieve the symptoms of fever, pain, throbbing, irritability, and sleeplessness associated with earaches, as well as the common pain and itching of swimmer’s ear. The quick-dissolving tablets work without side effects. Each package contains a reference booklet written by a physician and a pharmacist. (www.hylands.com)
A homeopathic product formulated especially for children, Hyland’s Baby Infant Earache Drops are designed to temporarily relieve the symptoms of fever, pain, irritability, and sleeplessness associated with earaches (after diagnosis by a physician). It also relieves the common pain and itching of swimmer’s ear. (www.hylands.com)