OR WAIT 15 SECS
With this issue of Drug Topics' e-newsletter, we expand our OTC Product Update page to showcase products and product news that fell outside the parameters of recently featured categories or ran up against space limitations in the print edition. Look for more OTC Product News in upcoming issues of the Drug Topics e-newsletter!
With this issue of Drug Topics’ e-newsletter, we expand our OTC Product Update page to showcase products and product news that fell outside the parameters of recently featured categories or ran up against space limitations in the print edition. Look for more OTC Product News in upcoming issues of the Drug Topics e-newsletter!
Gehwol’s callus cream
• Gehwol’s callus cream. A 1-month treatment with Gehwol’s new Callus Cream guarantees rapid and gentle removal of excess calluses on feet. Studies have shown that softening and reduction of calluses occurs within 5 days due to the action of urea and silk extracts in the product. Another ingredient, avocado oil, strengthens the barrier of the skin surface to improve the elasticity of the originally dry and brittle callus layer. This product joins Gehwol’s biggest seller, Salve for Cracked Skin, especially helpful for people with diabetes. (www.gehwol-usa.com)
• Exergen temporal artery thermometer. With cold and flu season on the horizon, it’s important to note that Nielsen and Information Resources Inc. found that the Exergen temporal artery thermometer outsells all other brands at retailers stocking the Exergen TemporalScanner. Using an arterial heat balance system that adjusts for the effects of ambient and skin temperatures, the TemporalScanner needs only a quick stroke across the forehead to produce a medically accurate body temperature reading. (www.exergen.com)
• Sato’s Zentrip for motion sickness. Zentrip is a new entry in the battle against motion sickness. The citrus-flavored medicated thin strip dissolves quickly when placed on the tongue and is fast-acting. A package of 9 strips is easy to carry in purse or pocket. The main ingredient is meclizine hydrochloride, an antiemetic that works by blocking a chemical messenger in the brain, helping to reduce or prevent vomiting and dizziness associated with motion sickness. Unlike pills or tablets, no water is required. (www.zentripsato.com)
Heat-Igniting Citrus 2-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner
• AXE hair products for men. AXE Hair has introduced a new line of experiential shampoos for young men; each creates a different “sensory adventure.” Downpour Refreshing Mint Shampoo with peppermint leaf extract refreshes tired guys. Heat-Igniting Citrus 2-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner with warming spices and citrus fires guys up for a night out. Zen Soothing Tea Tree Shampoo with real tea-tree extract leaves guys calm and centered. (www.theaxeeffect.com)
• Institut Rosell-Lallemand probiotic sachets. Results of a randomized study presented at the European Respiratory Society Annual Congress held recently in Barcelona, Spain, showed that ProbioKid, from Institut Rosell-Lallemand, Montreal, reduced infectious events by 25% in children during the winter months, compared to placebo. ProbioKid contains a combination of 3 probiotic strains and a prebiotic. Probiotics have been defined by the FAO/WHO as “live-microorganisms which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host.” Probiotics are commonly consumed as part of fermented foods with specially added active live cultures, such as in yogurt or as dietary supplements. ProbioKid is used to help maintain balanced intestinal flora and a healthy immune system in children. (www.institut-rosell-lallemand.com)
Vinco dietary supplements
• Vinco dietary supplements. Vinco recently added 8 new supplements to its line of nutraceuticals. CoQ-Complete 100 and CoQ-Complete 400 (antioxidants) play a major role in the functioning of the immune system. Melatonin 3 mg (antioxidant) helps adjust circadian rhythms for healthier sleep cycles. Relieviate soft gels have a fast-acting pain-relieving effect in patients with arthritis. Resveratrol promotes cardiovascular health and helps maintain coronary blood vessels, heart function, and healthy platelet function, along with natural cell growth. Smart PS (phosphatidylserine) provides nutritional support for brain functions, including cognition, memory, and nerve transmission. Vitamin E 400 is an antioxidant and free-radical scavenger. yourWhey provides fiber and essential amino acids derived from natural sources to aid in digestion, repairing of injuries, building of muscles, metabolism, and balancing energy levels. (www.vincoinc.com)
Medi-Dose/EPS flag and receipt labels
• Medi-Dose/EPS flag and receipt labels. For dispensers facing challenges when labeling syringes, ampoules, tubing, suppositories, and oddly shaped bottles, LiquiDose Flag and Receipt Labels offer a solution. The flag label has a large 2-sided printing area with a long thin tail that attaches the label to the item. Using Medi-Dose MILT 3.0 software, information can even be printed on the tail of the flag that wraps around the dispensed item. Every flag also has a receipt portion that can be applied to charts, records, or the original packaging for tracking and accountability; the receipt may even be used as a secondary label. (800-523-8966)
• UCL injectable meds guide.
UCL Hospitals Injectable Medicines Administration Guide
(Wiley-Blackwell, October 2010)
offers key information needed for the safe and effective administration of many injectable medicines. The guide covers intravenous, intramuscular, and subcutaneous methods of administration and includes general advice on dealing with extravasation, osmolarity, pH, flushes, and syringe pump compatibility. The tabbed, alphabetically arranged monographs ensure quick access to information on key injectable medicines, including preparative details, stability, compatibility, and acute bedside monitoring. Other key features include regular reviews and updates, an easy “cut-and-paste” function for use in patient documentation and pages printed for personal reference, links to related medication monographs, and a user guide tutorial. Sample monographs are available at