In this section we showcase products and product news that ran up against space limitations or fell outside the parameters of recently featured categories in the print edition.
In this section we showcase products and product news that ran up against space limitations or fell outside the parameters of recently featured categories in the print edition. Look for more OTC Product News in upcoming issues of the Drug Topics e-newsletter.
• Dr. Fresh Travel Kit. With the holiday season soon approaching, Dr. Fresh has introduced budget-friendly oral care travel kits. The kits feature various configurations of portable toothbrushes and diminutive versions of brand-name toothpastes and mouthwashes. The kits are intended not only for travelers who must pass TSA security, but for anyone who is at work or school, or on the road for extended periods, without access to the comforts and full-sized products of home. (Http://www.drfresh.com)
• Spenco Flow Cool Insole. Spenco Medical recently introduced PolySorb Flow Cool Insoles, which reduce heat buildup to help keep feet cooler, particularly important to walkers, runners, and joggers. As the foot heats up from strenuous activity, the insole uses jade obtained from natural resources to efficiently slow down the temperature rise and allows the fiber to quickly radiate the heat for swift cooling after the heat source is removed. When the foot comes into contact with the insole, 1 to 2 degrees of instant cooling occurs and up to 3 degrees with prolonged use. The insoles, are available in both men’s and women’s sizes, and have a 1-year unconditional guarantee. (http://www.spenco.com/products/footcare/poly-sorb/FLOW-Cool)
• Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother. Blistex has addressed the often overlooked and irritating cold, flu, and allergy side effect of dry lips with the launch this month of Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother. The formulation includes several ingredients that alleviate lip discomfort: pramoxine HCL, an odorless, flavorless analgesic that alleviates sensitivity to lip soreness, pain, and itchiness; dimethicone, a barrier that prevents moisture loss and protects lips; glycerin, lanolin, and sunflower seed oil, which help to remoisturize lips parched from the effects of illness or dry air; and vitamins C & E, chamomile, green tea, honey, and elderberry, which provide comfort to irritated lips. (http://www.blistex.com)
• Colgate Sensitive Pro Relief. Colgate has recently introduced products to aid those who suffer tooth sensitivity (reported to be up to 5% of adults). The new Sensitive Pro Relief toothpaste is formulated to provide quick and long-lasting relief. Its proprietary formula penetrates to the source of pain, the nerve, to soothe the pain faster, shielding the nerve to help prevent the pain from coming back. (http://www.colgatesensitiveprorelief.com/)
• Nature Made Krill Oil. Nature Made’s newest product, Krill Oil, offers a new source of omega-3 fatty acids along with a naturally occurring antioxidant called astaxanthin, said to be a carotenoid that is not converted to vitamin A (retinol) in the human body. Too much vitamin A is toxic for a human being, but astaxanthin has lower toxicity. Omega-3 fatty acids are important to heart health. [These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.] Nature Made Krill Oil comes in small, easy-to-swallow softgel capsules, offering an alternate source of omega 3s without fish burps or aftertaste. Supportive but not conclusive research shows that consumption of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Each softgel delivers 90 mg of omega-3 (50 mg EPA, 24 mg DHA) and 75 mg of phospholipids. (http://www.naturemade.com/Products/Supplements/Krill-Oil-300-mg)
• SinuCleanse NetiCap. Just in time for fall allergies and cold and flu season, Med-Systems has added the SinuCleanse NetiCap to its portfolio of nasal-washing products. The twist-on cap, which turns most water bottles into instant neti pots, is handy when sinus issues develop away from home. NetiCap comes in a package of 2 caps and 10 all-natural pharmaceutical grade saline packets. The drug-free treatment can be used as often as needed and is safe for every sinus sufferer, including pregnant women, people on multiple medications, and children. (http://www.sinucleanse.com/)