Soon after announcing it is opening fewer stores and closing some stores, CVS said it is expanding its CarePass membership prescription delivery service nationwide.
In late October, CVS launched the pilot membership rewards program in the Greater Boston area, and then tested it in select markets. For $5 a month or $48 a year, CarePass customers receive free delivery on most medications and purchases, 20% off all CVS Health private label products, and access to a 24/7 pharmacist hotline.
“The simplified value and access to service is delivering an enhanced customer experience that has resulted in a 15-20% average increase in purchases after a member joins,” the retailer says in a statement. The results from its test in select markets reveal that CarePass appeals to a broad consumer audience, 20% of whom are millennials.
Trending: New GOLD Strategies for COPD Management
"Initial customer response has exceeded our expectations with members utilizing the program's full benefits and becoming more engaged across all of our digital offerings,” says Kevin Hourican, executive vice president, CVS Health, and president, CVS Pharmacy,
The CarePass membership program includes:
- Free 1-day to 2-day delivery on qualifying prescription drug orders and free 1-day to 2-day delivery for eligible purchases on CVS.com with no minimum order required.
- Access to a 24/7 pharmacist helpline. CarePass members can contact the helpline to speak live with a pharmacist who has secure access to their prescription history with CVS Pharmacy. “The pharmacist will be able to answer questions about the customer's medications on-demand and refer them to any additional tools, resources or services that could be helpful,” CVS says.
- A 20% discount on eligible CVS Health Brand products in-store and on CVS.com, including OTC medications, vitamins and supplements, as well as personal care items.
- A monthly $10 CarePass promotional reward that can be used on many items in-store and online at CVS.com. The CarePass promo reward is automatically added to the customer's ExtraCare card at the beginning of each monthly cycle and expires at the end of the monthly cycle.
- Surprise perks and bonus offers at key times throughout the year. For example, members recently received a complimentary sports physical at their local MinuteClinic. “The program will continue to evolve to include additional services and exclusive offerings in the future,” CVS says.